Gemstone Therapy is an alternative and holistic technique in which stones and crystals are used for medical practices. Many believe they are miracles of nature and can be used for curing ailments and even protecting against disease. Followers of this popular technique believe that these crystals are dedicated conduits of healing, allowing for positive and healing energy to flow into your body. Gemstone properties also cause negative and disease-causing energy to flow out. In fact, many of their uses are seen in practices such as massage or Reiki.
The Origin of Gemstone Therapy
Gemstone therapy dates back centuries to the Sumerians of Mesopotamia. Even the Egyptians are known to be referenced as the first people to use crystals and gems. They specifically used lapis lazuli, carnelian, and turquoise, to ward off negative energies and even illness.
However, the more modern use of gemstones or crystals in healing is based on concepts from Asian cultures like the Chinese, Hindu, and even the chakras’ Buddhist concept. These Buddhists see these chakras as living vortices of life energy that connect both the body’s spiritual and physical parts.
Every crystal has a unique structure. They were seen to have inherent qualities and properties needed to aid in life. They were used on specific chakra points to help specific ailments and heal the energy imbalances that caused disease. However, Western medicine will quickly discount this philosophy. Many still wear crystals on their bodies as jewelry or under a pillow to ward off illness or negative energy.
How Long Have They’ve Been Used for Therapy?
Gemstone therapy has been in use for centuries. Evidence of their use is seen in ancient Greece and Egypt. It is believed that the Egyptians placed a quartz crystal upon the forehead of their dearly departed to help guide them safely into the afterlife. And the Egyptian women wore crushed Lapis Lazuli stones as a type of eye shadow that was believed to promote insight and mindfulness. It has also seen as far back as the Vedic period in India. Through archaeology, science has shown evidence of gemstone therapy to go back more than seven thousand years ago. Religious texts from India, called the Vedas, have been acknowledged as the authority on gems and crystals. It details their descriptions and potencies. The texts also detail the prescriptions for their practical use and how imbalances can be set right by wearing a specific gem upon your skin.
When Did Gemstone Therapy Become Mainstream?
While gemstones have always had their place in history and even medicine, it wasn’t until celebrities like Erykah Badu, Adele, Princess Kate, and even Gwyneth Paltrow brought this new age movement into the mainstream limelight. And most recently, there has been an increase in crystal-infused beauty products and gemstone water bottle elixir sets.
Benefits of Gemstone Therapy
Gemstone therapy has been around for centuries for a reason. It works. Their therapeutic benefits are known worldwide and are seen in numerous cultures, both past, and present. What exactly are these benefits of gemstone therapy?
- They can provide substantial relief from many physical, mental, and even spiritual challenges. Examples include anxiety, depression, and physical problems like chronic or acute pain and other disorders.
- Gemstone therapy energizes your mind and body, will help decrease blood pressure, free any emotions you may have blocked, reduce the level of toxins in your body, and lower your stress. They are also known for attracting positive energy.
- Many practitioners use gemstones to help alter your aura as these crystals carry specific vibrations to support your healing. Since your aura contains nine colors, a deficiency in any of these can lead to an imbalance. Restoring these is a fundamental use of gemstone therapy.
- They can help you connect with your inner conscious and help your focus by increasing concentration.
- Gemstones like garnet or bloodstone are known to have healing properties and strengthen you from the inside.
- They work as a cleansing agent. They can push out negative energies from your body.
- Gemstone therapy is sustainable therapy. Gems and crystals can last a lifetime, and using them daily can profoundly affect your spiritual and physical life.
Top 3 Healing Crystals and Their Properties
Different cultures dating back to antiquity believed gemstones carried great power and numerous health benefits. While many people today only wear them for fashion, you may use them for a more practical and healing approach. Chavah Gems keeps this thought in mind when curating gemstone jewelry pieces. In place of the more expensive gems such as rubies, red garnet is a suitable substitute. Moonstone can be exchanged for pearl; peridot can replace emerald, and citrine can replace yellow sapphire. Here are the top three stones that I believe you should have on hand.
- Turquoise: As a stone used primarily in jewelry, you may find that having this stone is a proven master healer. It is a bridge between earth and heaven and has been regarded by many to have protective properties and bring you good luck. It’s also a stone of communication. Even if you’re not as articulate as you’d like to be, it can help you speak when you’re having problems. Turquoise is more potent if given to you as a gift as its healing abilities are magnified. If you get one for yourself, consider gifting one to someone you love. It may be the perfect thing they need.
- Rose Quartz: This healing stone represents unconditional love. It opens up the heart chakra and will encourage you to forgive others and, most importantly, yourself. Always use it with an intention that is supportive and nurturing. It’ll support you on your journey of self-love.
- Moonstone: This magnificent gem is found worldwide and can easily be bought online or found in stores that explore metaphysical sciences. It has a light blue translucent hue. Moonstones are closely tied to feminine and lunar energy. It’s the perfect reminder to keep by your side as it’ll help you relax and taps into your intuitive side before you sleep.
Please have a look at some of our wonderful gemstone jewelry designs here. Gemstone therapy has seen centuries of history of use in medicine. From ancient texts to the modern new-age movement, crystals and gemstones are rising in popularity due to their effectiveness in healing. With many people looking for a more holistic and alternative medicine approach, gemstone therapy is a popular method steeped in antiquity and mysticism. Gemstones are abundant and can be found by many sellers. Finding the right one for you will help you heal faster and give you the positive energy needed to move forward to a more abundant life.Disclaimer – All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. If you have or suspect that you have a medical condition, you should consult a medical professional healthcare provider.